[LINK] The Game Begins...

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Fri Jul 1 17:56:36 AEST 2011

<SNIP>
> > The US tests found a wireless-based national broadband
> network would
> > produce significant interference with GPS systems used for
> everything from aviation to high-precision timing networks to
> consumer navigation devices.
> > The findings, based on extensive equipment tests conducted in Las
> > Vegas, increase pressure on the Federal Communications
> Commission to block a Virginia company called LightSquared
> from launching the network, which is designed to compete with
> super-fast systems being rolled out by AT&T and Verizon Wireless.
> <http://www.ozspeedtest.com/news/4089/test-finds-national-wire
less-network-would-harm-gps/>

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://ramin.com.au

I don't think we have that concern in Oz...

>From Wikipedia:
In the case of the original GPS design, two frequencies are utilized;
one at 1575.42 MHz (10.23 MHz × 154) called L1; and a second at 1227.60
MHz (10.23 MHz × 120), called L2.

And from Stuart Shepards, (Spectrum Licence Renewal Section of the
Spectrum Infrastructure Branch, ACMA) very fine presentation at this
years RadComms. "Future spectrum requirements for mobile broadband."

Quote/ [Notes: From Slide 7]
The 1.5 GHz band consists of the 1427.9-1462.9 MHz and 1475.9-1510.9 MHz
frequency ranges and currently supports fixed point-to-point,
point-to-multipoint and aeronautical mobile telemetry services. The 1.5
GHz band plan was made in 1996 preventing any new assignments for fixed
and mobile services in the frequency range 1452-1492 MHz.

The World Administrative Radio Conference of 1992 allocated the
1452-1492 MHz band to the broadcast satellite service to support digital
radio services, but the ACMA is unaware of any imminent plans to deploy
a digital radio service in this band. The ACMA is considering plans to
review the 1.5 GHz band plan with a view to removing the restriction on
assigning new mobile services.

Further to this, the band contains a large number of digital radio
concentrator systems operated by Telstra to fulfil its Universal Service
Obligations, and whilst the ACMA understands that the NBN may take over
responsibility for the USO, arrangements and implementation of a future
USO are yet to be decided.

It is evident that the 1.5 GHz band is not immediately available, but is
a potential long-term prospect in meeting the requirement for mobile
broadband spectrum up to and beyond 2020.

Tomk