[LINK] OT: DNTs [Was Re: The Game Begins...

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Fri Jul 1 20:51:25 AEST 2011

Thankfully, they do still remain, but are no longer cut for timber. They
do make a wonderful timber, but we nearly ran out.

The red cedar grows as scattered individuals in forests of other stuff.
There is a particular moth that attacks them by focusing on the flowers.
If there are too many flowers visible, the moths flock and wipe out the
stand. So the evolutionary defense strategy is not to grow in strands.

But they're not wiped out complete: if you look out over a forest, at
least in some places I've seen, the trees spotted around with white
flowers that aren't consistent with the surrounding eucalypts - that's
the red cedar.

Aside: my mother was a china-painter - sorry, "porcelain artist" in
today's cant. She had a particularly good plate, and a friend of my
father's, an old carpenter, used his last piece of Australian red cedar
to make a table to display it.

RC