[LINK] Creative Commons

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Sun Jul 3 21:00:47 AEST 2011

<SNIP>
> P.S.  Richard, if your concerns about the set of CC licences revolve
> around how a freelance journo / stringer / reputed blogger (or, say,
> sports photographer) can make a living from their work, I reckon link
> is exactly the right list to float what's wrong, and what might be
> done to create an appropriate CC (or other) licence that addresses
> those needs.

It's funny how memes suddenly appear to develop, [almost serendipitous
in nature] just as one is contemplating the very self same subject
matter.

I was researching an oblique methodology of heat dissipation on very
small IC chips through the use of surface cavities and various materials
used for transfering heat away from the crucial heat sensitive contents.

Every single English reference was behind a pay wall or a University
login requiring arduous authentication and re-routing of my search
request through a uni's research environment - structured for the Uni to
track it's Students and not for the Students to find results. But there,
at the bottom of the page, a single right click away (Translate) was a
Wendu entry at Baidu in Chinese with of course the clincher:  Languages
??do not:      英文 English

In other words, not available in English, but apart from that, free for
every person that can read Chinese - Globally.

To all of you that are wondering why we are having a Global Financial
Crisis, think about the foregoing example of culturally based open
learning.
Think about the economic results that are occurring in the part of the
world that would appear to share everything, from your secret plans to
their secret "do not translate into English" research.

Then, one can undoubtedly find the reason why Confucius say, Education
System that charges for Content behind Paywall end up with lousy
economy.

Or at least... Why an Android WiFi smart Phone in Sydney is 84 bucks and
the same phone is only 24 bucks in Indonesia and only 19 bucks in
Shanghai.

Sorry, Richard and Roger, in this regard my opinion is that the Example
PR quoted by Stephen is spot on... But possibly could do with a spot of
editing...

The East has "experienced an explosion of openness" whilst the West
still struggles for ways in which to squeeze the last element of profit
from the debt laden residents not yet sent to the Bankruptcy Registrar
(assizes).

By the Way... Which heat dissipation solution do you think I recommended
to the engineers to look at first ?
The three English ones with only a handful of citations because of their
imprisonment behind the paywalls or the freely available Chinese one
with over 140 citations globally ???

TomK - An avid proponent of a free information economy. Lets let the
consumers decide who and what has the best product. We already know that
education is the path to eradication of poverty. Why then is is this CC
any different ?