[LINK] Creative Commons

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Mon Jul 4 09:56:33 AEST 2011

Richard Chirgwin wrote:
<snip>
> So in my opinion, it would be better to continue the longer road of
> agitating for better copyright, than to try and circumvent copyright by
> habituating people to a new form of interaction, via license, that opens
> the door to unintended consequences like these.
<snip>

The other outcome is for standardised licenses to be viewed as model law
and eventually easily legislated (addressing any undesirable consequences
which have become apparent) as it reflects practice.

This has happened in the case of By-Laws in Strata Plans. Many items that
you had to create as by-laws previously are now legislated and regulated.

The same also applies to standards, from safety to maybe one day the
requirement for the provision of information in accessible interoperable
document formats.

I would suggest that the advantage of this approach is that it may be
possible for it to be developed and tested away from the kind of politics,
that seeks to engineer elections, while one side is looking good. The
politics may also be fixable by having fixed term elections, as in NSW.

On the issue of providing positive case studies -  logic says that you can
only disprove something with a counter example - but an example does not
prove anything .

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz