[LINK] Avoidng search personalisation for research - any links to good articles?

Anthony Hornby anthony.w.hornby at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 11:17:17 AEST 2011

Hi,
Some of the librarians at my work want to know more about how search
personalisation by companies like google personalises search results. They
all watched the "filter bubble" TED video probably. I have sent them some
basic info on being anonymous on the web
http://www.thefilterbubble.com/10-things-you-can-do.

Does anyone have any links to solid analysis of the impact of this sort of
personalisation on people trying to do serious research on the web (and by
that we don't mean academic publisher sites etc .. we mean things on the
open web ... e.g. Google Scholar is fair game). Does search personalisation
take into account the "seriousness" of the topic e.g. it weights my interest
in a type of bicycle but doesn't weight my searches on cancer?

Does anyone have any other good links about how to opt-out of
personalisation?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks a lot !

Kind Regards,