[LINK] The demise of Democracy [Was: US & fluorescent light bulbs]

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Fri Jul 22 13:00:59 AEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 04:42:59PM +1000, David Boxall wrote:
> Abbott learned at the feet of the master, then enthusiastically took on
> Howard's mantle as The Great Deceiver.

he's a master of the Big Lie technique.

> I don't see many solutions that wouldn't introduce worse problems. For a
> start, we might:
>
> - ensure competition in the media by limiting concentration of
> ownership; say, 10% in any market. Difficult, given media globalisation,
> but worth an effort. And;

that, combined with a complete ban on foreign ownership of newspapers,
tv, and radio would be a good start.

of course, all three will be quaintly irrelevant in a decade or so. just
another bitstream (lost amongst thousands or millions of others) on the
net.

BTW, another thing that i've long though would be useful would be a
legal requirement that all retractions, corrections, apologies and the
like MUST be on the front page in a font & size at least as prominent as
is used for articles. and printed every day for at least a week (for
dailies) or for at least three consecutive editions (for weeklies and
monthlies).

> As for the End of Days, it's a toss-up what will get us first:
> - global warming;
> - air pollution;
> - water pollution;
> - water supply;
> - soil degradation or
> - overpopulation.
> The list is not exhaustive. For what it's worth, my money's on the last.

war.

any or all of the above can (and probably will in the next few years,
certainly in the next decade or two) trigger a war that will destroy the
planet (or at least make it uninhabitable for us)

but if we got to choose, I'd vote for alien invasion.

Ian Banks' 'The Culture' would be nice.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>