[LINK] Invitation to connect on LinkedIn

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Fri Jul 22 21:15:34 AEST 2011

At 10:48 +0000 22/7/11, Sandeep Bhavsar wrote to link:
>I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.
>Sandeep Bhavsar
>Librarian at Dr. V N Bedekar Institute of Management Studies
>Mumbai Area, India

Is it dumb to send to a list?    Or enterprising?

>Confirm that you know Sandeep Bhavsar
>https://www.linkedin.com/e/tx5pa0-gqf10x8z-1p/isd/3620761880/nNCf7QfU/

As distinct from 'confirm that you agree to be part of Sandeep's 'network'.

Well, I guess 'network' is a less dishonest word than 'friend'.

Declarations:

1.  Contrary to my original expectations, I'm appalled at LinkedIn's Terms.
http://www.rogerclarke.com/EC/LinkedIn-1012.html
http://www.rogerclarke.com/EC/IU-SPE-A6-LinkedIn.html

2.  But I did set up an externally visible page, in order to be
discoverable via LinkedIn.

3.  I was further appalled by the following:

3.1  I could find no location for my email-address and had to shove
it into an at best vaguely relevant field

3.2  I've since had moderate numbers of requests to be in people's
networks, but not one has contained a personal email-address, and not
one has appeared to be anything other than an auto-generated message

I still think that even blog infrastructure is hopelessly badly
designed, and twitterdom deserves all the attention-deficit-syndrome
sufferers it can muster;  but my astonishment at the banality of
humankind reaches its apogee (or is it nadir?) when I get to 'social
networking services'.

Roger, go and pour yourself another glass of red.

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916