[LINK] ICT and democracy [Was: 2015]

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Jun 3 11:33:27 AEST 2011

David Boxall wrote:
<snip>
> It seems to me that information and (particularly) communications
> technologies have played a significant part in the degradation of
> Australia's democracy. Could Abbott have deceived and alarmed so many
> without ubiquitous and virtually instantaneous telecommunications? Could
> the opinion poll and focus group driven degeneracy have progressed to
> the level that it has without quick ubiquitous telecommunications, plus
> info-tech to speedily cook the figures?
<snip>

I disagree... we have fabulous opportunities to be informed and engage.
eg Upto date Hansard from NSW Parliament
<http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/hanstrans.nsf/MostRecentLA/LA>

video streaming is also available...

And simple things like RSS feeds let you monitor things easily.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://ramin.com.au