[LINK] News Corp paywalls

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Wed Jun 8 04:27:47 AEST 2011

What they're saying to their shareholders is:

Don't worry about the advertising revenue that we lost because we no
longer have 20 million readers... We're now making money from
Subscribers.. Yay!!!!

Having paid for advertising in Newspapers, I think that no matter what
they charge for Subscriptions, it will never match the revenue from
three percent of twenty million clicking the clickthrus...

20,000,000 * 3% =  600,000 * $0.22 (clickthru value - conservative) per
day = $132,000
Subscriptions ?  (100,000 * .99/28 days =) $3535.71 per day.

So they are only losing their shareholders $128,464.29 per day.
Mind you that's from the first four weeks for 99 cents model... Lets see
how they do after a few months have passed and the early adopters either
drop of or churn to another cheap intro offer...

If however they maintain their subscribers, then that means a revenue of
$1,999,984 per month ($71,428 per day)

Then again, that's interesting stats.

NY = 8,175,133 (2010 Pop. - Source WikiP - The five burroughs) therefore
subscriber penetration = 0.012232217% versus what they used to have...
2.446443379%

I'm sure the advertisers don’t mind at all.