[LINK] Music industry backs down on piracy

Birch, Jim Jim.Birch at dhhs.tas.gov.au
Wed Jun 8 10:29:41 AEST 2011

Anthony Hornby wrote:

>I think the problem stems from "Limited" not being the case any more
;-)

>> The Congress shall have Power [. . .] To promote the Progress of
>> Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and

>> Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and
>> Discoveries.

There's an interesting parallel with the 2nd amendment declaration "A
well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
It has been argued that the concept of a militia securing the state
belongs in a radically different time before police forces, enormous
standing armies and the modern military technology and methods.  The US
supreme court didn't agree.  On the other hand, Clinton signed into law
a bill banning the purchase of assault weapons, which are just the type
of weapons that you might think a militia would find handy.  (That law
had a 10 year sunset clause and wasn't renewed in 2004.  The law did
reduce the ownership of assault weapons slightly and may have resulted
in a marginal decrease in the incidence of assault weapon crime over the
10 year period.)  Concealable weapons are legal in most US states but
are probably not the weapon of choice for restoring democratic rule.
None of this makes a lot of sense to me...

I read somewhere that an economic analysis of copyright had suggested
that ~14 year exclusivity period would produce the optimal economic
benefit (sorry no ref).  However, I doubt the US corpocracy would settle
on a policy based on rational evaluation of general social benefit
rather than one based on rent collection in perpetuity.

- Jim

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER

The information in this transmission may be confidential and/or protected by legal professional privilege, and is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed. If you are not such a person, you are warned that any disclosure, copying or dissemination of the information is unauthorised. If you have received the transmission in error, please immediately contact this office by telephone, fax or email, to inform us of the error and to enable arrangements to be made for the destruction of the transmission, or its return at our cost. No liability is accepted for any unauthorised use of the information contained in this transmission. If the transmission contains advice, the advice is based on instructions in relation to, and is provided to the addressee in connection with, the matter mentioned above. Responsibility is not accepted for reliance upon it by any other person or for any other purpose.