[LINK] Govenment calls UN on piracy ruling

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Thu Jun 9 17:01:46 AEST 2011

<SNIP>

> But Michael Speck, who ran the music industry's high profile case
> against file sharing network Kazaa and is now in partnership with the
> creator of Kazaa on a legitimate version of the service, took aim the
> UN report and Vaile's argument.
>
> He claims international law should not be used to serve the interests
> of those who misappropriate intellectual property.
>
> "Put bluntly, not protecting the opinions or expressions of artists
> is a breach of their human rights," said Speck.
>
> "Freedom of speech or expression, despite being routinely proffered,
> has never been a defence for online infringers of copyright,
> terrorists or paedophiles."

He almost had me, hook line and twisted sinker... Right up till he
dragged in the tired old "Terrorists or Paedophiles"
Hey Speck... It's the kids [and their grand parents] doing the
downloading of music and movies and computer games not the Terrorists.

In Australia for example, we host on a Global basis per capita the 2nd
and 3rd highest cities of file sharing in the world. Yet we are also per
capita the largest legitimate purchasers of digitally available music
and movies [not Games] per capita.

We also have an extraordinarily healthy second hand market in CD's,
DVD's, Game Consoles and player devices.
The research I have carried out over the last three years proves that
the only real barrier to sales has been DRM and the lack of digitally
available content.
That is now changing.
The correlation is in the numbers of active P2P clients. P2P has been
dying gradually since it's peak in around September 2006.

How the hell do people like this even get interviewed ?
Is Journalism that desperate for publication that they have to print
crap like this ?

Not up to scratch Asher... In fact down right disappointing that you
even considered that this guy was worthwhile quoting.
He's not.

TomK