[LINK] Hold up your hands if you Like HT Transmission Lines - Was - solar plants

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Mon Jun 20 10:28:02 AEST 2011

Err. In case anyone worked out the numbers,
They equal $18,460.86 per home (for 1.5 kWH equivalency) or about a 12%
increase in cost over the recent Solar power initiative rolled out in
NSW with panels installed on consumers roofs.

If we add line loss (transmission loss) we find that unless the power is
utilised within 100 km radius we can add another 4-8% transmission loss
to the cost.

The home install scheme was calculated on 60 cents per kWH being payable
to the homeowner for the use of his roof until 2014.

Even with this premium the scheme is cheaper than the current "biggest
in the world". Mainly because there is almost zero transmission or
conversion loss.

In less than six months, 380 Megawatts was constructed on a distributed
basis at exactly those points where the power was likely to be used.
Additionally there are no transmission/substation/transformer
installation (easement/loss of land for other uses) or maintenance costs
(the hidden costs of installing a massive power station).

I think solar power is wonderful. I have 4.2 kW equivalency on my roof.
($22,000 retail capex - my real cost approx. $6,400)
It protects my roof tiles from the elements.
It keeps the house cooler in the Summer (by removing about 3 degrees
heat from the roofspace)
It keeps the house warmer in the Winter (adding an extra layer of
insulation between us and the elements - untested first winter....)
...and I know that whilst my electricity is almost free it is also
extremely green.

More so because it was generated here, exited on one meter and came in
on another.
I like solar power.

Unfortunately, 115,000 homes from 8.2 million homes leaves a lot of
Aussies using the other type of power. You know the one. That Black Coal
stuff. The stuff that kills millions of people every year. When they
mine it, when they burn it.
The stuff that has more radiation leaking out of power station slag
piles than fifty Fukushima meltdown reactors.
The stuff that is poisoning our water tables without anyone being
informed.

The stuff that Journalists that want to keep their jobs don't write
about.

An excellent start Canberra. Now how about the other 8.1 million homes
in Australia ?

I make it only  $149,533,043,478 using this "Massive Project concept" to
deliver solar power to all of them.

Or we could just deliver 1.6 Kw to every home in Australia for about
20,088,000,000 or half the price of the NBN.
Now that is an infrastructure project that would still be paying
dividends in 25 years time when the solar panels will need replacing.

A 1.6 kW solar installation on every roof in Oz would save an
approximated two-five billion per annum in un required infrastructure
development and make the countryside look a lot nicer.

And folks, lets be honest - Does anyone like High Tension Transmission
lines ?

P.S.: it would save so much Carbon from Transmission loss savings that
Australia would almost qualify for Kyoto immediately.

TomK.