[LINK] New Law for Citizen Owned Solar Power Stations in Canberra

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Fri Mar 4 10:16:23 AEDT 2011

On 4/03/11 9:52 AM, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
> Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> <snip>
>> The chief criminals of power waste are:
>> - heating elements
>> - flat panel TVs
>> - inefficient refrigeration (eg, use a chest freezer rather than an
>> upright)
>> - water pumps (only relevant if you're using tank water)
> <snip>
>
> So, how do LED TVs stack up?
Less stupidly wasteful than plasma, still hungrier than CRT. I find it a
bit of a scam that Energy Star ratings seem entirely self-referential -
that is, it's possible for an LCD TV to get five stars, when it still
uses more power than a CRT of the same time. But that's just me, I
suppose ...

> Significant Contributers:
> *Poor Insulation (just heard first hand how heavy blinds made a home
> cooler during hot days)
> *Poor Shade/Lack of Vegetation
> *Poor Aspect/Lack of natural Lighting
Agreed to all. Eaves design makes a huge difference as well.

> On the chest vs upright - I suspect size (as well as efficiency) has
> something to contribute.
In a chest freezer, the cold air stays put when you open it. In an
upright, the cold air escapes. So a chest freezer of comparable size to
an upright will use less electricity.

Efficiency is, after all, a function of all that goes on - including
unnecessary waste of already-chilled air.

<http://www.energyrating.gov.au/rfl.html>

And a wonderful article I found on converting a chest freezer to a chest
refrigerator:
http://mtbest.net/chest_fridge.html

Cheers,
RC