[LINK] Kid Pr0n and NBN

rene rene.ln at libertus.net
Sat Mar 5 11:52:31 AEDT 2011

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 13:58:47 +1100, Jan Whitaker wrote:

> NBN may raise child porn risk: police
> Richard Willingham
> March 4, 2011

Looks like the AFP probably did say what was reported in SMH/The Age
yesterday.

The AFP said much the same in a submission last June to the Parliament
Joint Select Committee on Cyber-Safety, quote:

===
"The AFP with other Australian Govenrment agencies is working to minimise
the criminal exploitation of the NBN. The inherent risk of the NBN is that
it could facilitate the continual growth and sophistication of online
criminal syndicates’ ability to commit cyber offences against online
systems due to the attractiveness of the increased speed. Increased
bandwidth available via the NBN may result in increased bandwidth available
for committing or facilitating computer offences.

The NBN will likely create an environment in which relatively small Retail
Service Providers (RSPs) operate offering a range of services including
voice, data and media, internet TV, social networking, music, video
messaging, games, text, email and internet browsing. Unless smaller
RSP’s are required to comply with the same ‘licensing’ arrangements as
other ‘carriage service providers’ as defined by the Telecommunications
Interceptions Act 1979, it is likely that many RSPs will have limited
capacity to assist law enforcement (due to limited size or technical
capabilities).

The proliferation of a large number of RSPs has the potential to increase
the difficulty law enforcement has to obtain telecommunications data.
Australian government agencies are in consultation with NBN Co to
address this particular issue."
http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/jscc/subs/sub_64.pdf
===

I don't understand how they get the idea that small retail ISPs may not
have to comply with existing legislated obligations on carriage service
providers to provide assistance and information to law enforcement
agencies. Unless my memory is failing me drastically, the definition of
'carriage service provider' is not based on provider size or number of
customers and I'm unaware of any exceptions for "small" CSPs. Is anyone?

Irene