[LINK] Does the NBN need overhead cabling? [Was: Aerial vs underground Cabling]

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Fri Mar 11 16:06:25 AEDT 2011

On 11/03/2011 1:34 PM, Ross Kelso wrote:
> At 08:56 6/3/2011, David Boxall wrote (Link Digest, Vol 220, Issue 16, Msg 10):
>>
>> On 5/03/2011 1:15 PM, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
>>> It's only fair to mention that NBN Co does not intend to use overhead
>>> cable more than it absolutely must.
>> How much it "absolutely must" depends on what it's doing.
>> If
>> it's building national infrastructure, then I guess it needs about as
>> much overhead cabling as there is in the current copper network.
>>

>> I totally disagree.  The Minister originally justified the NBN deploying as much overhead cable as
> Telstra currently does for the PSTN,
Which is how much? I know of no part of the PSTN that's strung overhead.
Portions of the HFC network are overhead, but is that PSTN?

I agree that all telecommunications cabling should be underground.
It should also be:
- kept in public ownership and
- not a one-off project.

--
David Boxall                         | "Cheer up" they said.
http://david.boxall.id.au            | So I cheered up and,