[LINK] RFI: Joint Select Ctee on Cybersafety

Paul Brooks pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au
Sun Mar 13 22:55:26 AEDT 2011

On 10/03/2011 6:31 PM, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
> Hello Roger, Tony and all
>
> By FAR the best approach to online child safety is one of *education*
> for and of children. And I'm sure many Linkers might well agree. Hence,
> as governments, schools & teachers especially (as well as some parents)
> have already done MUCH in the area, one would suggest you might best be
> advised to concentrate on this Ed area. If you've time perhaps you might
> contact professional people working in this child cyber safety area.

Indeed. My 10yo child, upon arriving home from school and noticing the new webcam I
installed on mum's computer, immediately looked horrified and insisted on sticking a
post-it note over the lens because it didn't come with a separate privacy screen. At
school, they had been drilled on keeping webcams covered when not in use.
That is education funds well-spent IMO.

Paul.