[LINK] RFI: Joint Select Ctee on Cybersafety

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Mon Mar 14 14:13:08 AEDT 2011

Roger Clarke wrote:

> ...  pressure-points worth considering

Though NOT suggesting that such a thing be done, perhaps pollies should
be aware that a personal, "filter backlash effect" might happen, as has
occured frequently for example regards China's Great Wall and Wikileaks.

I would NOT wish such a reaction on anyone, but it's a fact they happen:

‘Great firewall’ of China can’t shield its creator from hate mail

PTI | Feb 19, 2011, 06.56am IST
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/china/Great-firewall-of-China-
cant-shield-its-creator-from-hate-mail/articleshow/7525829.cms>

BEIJING: The father of China's 'Great Firewall', which is used by the
authorities to block popular social networking sites like Facebook and
Twitter, is now a much hated man for his "infamous invention " and is
often subjected to "dirty abuse" on his microblog.

Fang Binxing, 50, the inventor of the Great Firewall (GFW) of China and a
recipient of several top Chinese government awards for his invention, had
to shut down his microblog to escape from the "dirty abuse".

Fang was surprised to see the barrage of hate mail when he opened his
account on a popular microblog sina.com used by more than 100 million
bloggers in China.

Fang's handiwork brought down on him an intense barrage of online
criticism in December when he opened a microblog on sina.com, official
Global Times said. "Within three hours, nearly 10,000 Web users left
messages for the father of the GFW. Few were complimentary," it said.

However, Fang who has "shut down his microblog account after a few days"
to escape the fury dismisses it as a, "sacrifice for the country".

Defending his work to block the content, the IT scholar said he was only
doing the right thing even if he got sticks and stones.

Fang proudly confirms that he was head designer for key parts of the GFW
which was launched in 1998 and went online in 2003. "I regard the dirty
abuse as a sacrifice for my country. They can't get what they want so
they need to blame someone emotionally: like if you fail to get a US visa
and you slag off the US visa official afterwards," he told the daily.

One proud tale, Fang would like to narrate was how his GFW made China
impregnable with the founder of Facebook , Mark Zuckerberg, openly
wondering about how to break it when he visited Beijing during Christmas
last year. Zuckerberg is said to have pleaded with local Chinese
entrepreneurs to show him how to beat the great firewall. "Ever since I
landed here in China I can't log onto my Facebook account!" Zuckerberg
reported to have said at a meeting.

"The joke might not be real, but the great firewall of China is very much
alive, blocking the world's most popular websites, including YouTube,
Facebook, Twitter and WikiLeaks," the daily said.

Recently, Chinese micro bloggers complained that developments relating to
mass uprising in Egypt were blocked in China fearing that it might
inspire similar protests.

Fang, who works as a professor at the National University of Defence
Technology here, refuses to reveal how the great firewall works,
saying "it is confidential." "The country urgently needed such a system
at that time," he said.

He claimed that GFW is a "common phenomenon around the world" and in
about 180 countries including the US.

--

Cheers,
Stephen