[LINK] no more sun.com

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 22:43:16 AEDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 7:27 AM,  <grove at zeta.org.au> wrote:

> The troops at Sun that I know (and the ones still there) are some of the
> brightest and most talented people around.   They've always been fun
> to deal with as well - there is something about the UNIX world and
> especially Sun, that has always had an affable and sometimes humourful
> relationship with its customers - they really are terrific people.

I agree, exactly my thoughts. With the only difference that I rarely
used Unix, I only ran Solaris 7 x86 brifly. I loved Sun for doing Java
first (as an OS/2 user it gave the OS an instant flow of
cross-platform apps it could run),and then for StarOffice.

IMHO Sun's biggest mistake was to drop its own Linux distro, which
only lasted two years... Java Desktop System.... from 2003 to 2004...
(the original JDS and JDS R2)

Sun JDS Linux v3.0 was cancelled just when it was already in beta. Sad
indeed. I've since moved to Fedora. But it was by far my distro of
choice, with a very polished look and built-in running Java VM with no
installation hassle.

Not to mention the great service Sun did by purchasing Stardivision
Gmbh and releasing the source of StarOffice by creating
OpenOffice.org...

Sun openness was the best I' ve seen in the IT industry. Oracle's top
managers can make dumb mistakes buy I' m hopeful the Sun virus -from
Sun employees now within the firm- can infect it and improve Oracle...

FC