[LINK] Nuclear power stations.

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Sun Mar 20 09:05:05 AEDT 2011

Kim Holburn wrote:
> It seems astonishing that they relied on their own power to pull the
> fuel rods in an emergency ... No diesel generator ...

The Fukushima nuclear power plant was designed for an 8.2 magnitude
earthquake and resulting 2.5 m tsunami. The plant survived the larger
than expect earthquake, but the 3m wall around the facility was then
over-topped by the much larger than expected tsunami, which damaged the
emergency power supply.

The Japan Atomic Industrial Forum has detailed reports on the situation
at the reactors: <http://www.jaif.or.jp/english/>.

As discussed in "Earthquake of the Week" at the Australian National
University Research School of Earth Sciences in Canberra last Friday,
this earthquake did not match the computer models previously used by
seismologists. This may require the location of settlements and
industrial facilities along coasts to be rethought: