[LINK] SMH: 'Facebook leads attack on internet filter'

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Tue Mar 22 09:12:17 AEDT 2011

On 2011/Mar/22, at 8:33 AM, Roger Clarke wrote:
> Facebook leads attack on internet filter
> Dylan Welch
> The Sydney Morning Herald
> March 22, 2011
> http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/facebook-leads-attack-on-internet-filter-20110321-1c3w8.html
>
> FACEBOOK and three of Australia's largest web companies have
> criticised Labor's planned mandatory internet filter, saying it is
> not the answer to protecting Australians from the web's worst
> excesses.
>
> The comments - by security experts who are employed by Yahoo,
> ninemsn, Microsoft and the social networking pioneer Facebook - were
> delivered during a hearing of the joint select committee on cyber
> safety, formed to inquire into how best to protect Australian
> children online.

> Online identity fraud and distribution of child abuse images has
> grown sharply in recent years. Mr Thompson said Facebook banned as
> many as 20,000 user accounts a day. Some are blocked due to
> inappropriate content.

You know I find this very, very creepy.  As if I didn't find facebook creepy enough.  Facebook checks everything in everyone's accounts?  Oh, and some are blocked for inappropriate content?  What are the others blocked for?  If they are exercising editorial control can they be held liable for the content?

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant