[LINK] Moderator Censorship

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue Mar 29 09:42:57 AEDT 2011

At 09:24 AM 29/03/2011, Ivan Trundle wrote:
>I do not regard this as moderation, or a restriction on the
>activities of Link. Others might disagree.

I agree, it's more in the bucket of system administration. There is a
tinge of 'control' through technical limitation, but just a tinge.

I believe most people would define 'moderation' as dealing more with
the meaningful content of the exchanges. When I ran college system
years ago with raging hormone student participants, I had to moderate
(light touch usually) when things got out of hand for legal reasons.
I watched mostly and got involved when things were heading off too
close to eruption or when I was asked to by members. My goal was for
them to express things respectfully and in a spirit of kindness
instead of attack, so that's how I counselled them. I don't recall
many if any bannings, maybe a couple, out of a participant group of
several thousand teenagers.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com