[LINK] Google going social
stephen at melbpc.org.au
stephen at melbpc.org.au
Wed Mar 30 12:54:25 AEDT 2011
This may be a bit of a worry, or maybe simply my FUD. Who knows?
Google is looking at moving strongly into the "social layer" of usage.
"Google plans to add more social-networking components to its core
products this fall, chief executive Eric Schmidt said this week."
Google already has many of the components of a powerful social network
although spread out across different products. Basically Google hasnt
had an effective way of bringing them all together.
So, it does look as if they are about to become 'social' for example:
"The purpose of Google Profiles is to enable you to manage your online
identity. Today, nearly all Google Profiles are public. We believe that
using Google Profiles to help people find and connect with you online is
how the product is best used. Private profiles dont allow this, so we
have decided to require all profiles to be public."
And, if public, then obviously also Google findable.
Now think about all the Google products, and what Google knows about us.
1. Google Buzz The Newsfeed
2. Google Profiles The Wall
3. Picasa Web Albums Photos
4. YouTube Videos
5. Google Music (pending) Music
6. Android/Android Maket The platform and means to obtain apps usage
7. Chrome/Chrome OS/Chrome Extensions Gallery/Chrome Web Store As Above
8. Google Latitude Location-based service/Check-Ins
9. Blogger Blogs (More open version of Facebook Notes)
10. Gmail Email, Chat, Video Chat
11. Google Calendar Event organization
12. Search profiles important to any social network
13. Google Wave
14. Google Apps Getting it used internally at businesses and schools
15. Aardvark Q&A
16. Google Reader Easily Follow news sources and share links
17. Knol Wiki-like content to provide information pages about subjects
18. Alerts - Email updates on the topics of your choice
19. Blog Search - Find blogs on your favorite topics
20. Google Chrome - browser
21. Directory - Search the web, organized by topic or category
22. Images - Search for images on the web
23. News - Search of news stories
24. Scholar - Search scholarly papers
25. Web Search - Search billions of web pages
26. Code - Developer tools, APIs and resources
27. Docs - Create & share online documents, presentations & spreadsheets
28. Groups - Create mailing lists and discussion groups
29. Translate - View web pages in other languages
30. Mobile - Google products on your mobile phone
The world should be getting serious about online privacy *real soon* now.
More information about the Link