[LINK] bin Laden is dead

Darrell Burkey darrell.burkey at anu.edu.au
Wed May 4 01:07:12 AEST 2011

Karl Auer states:

> If we discard the principles that make us different from people
> like bin Laden, is there really any point fighting him?

Bold words made from the safety of your little patch of paradise. OBL openly stated he would continue to kill and was actively involved in doing so. I wonder if that included your family if you would still be of the same opinion and willing to take responsibility for that while retaining your moral stance?

I've always enjoyed your very intelligent take on things and you make excellent points so thanks for that. I don't know why but I simply can't get over thinking about the people on the hijacked planes who called their families to say goodbye knowing they were about to die as they flew in to buildings. In that context nothing you say is having any meaning to me at all.

I have no reason to believe OBL was murdered and do think it was appropriate to capture him by any means possible. He put himself in that very dangerous position so he can take responsibility for the outcome. Allowing self-confessed murderers who openly state they will continue killing to hide is a risk I'm quite surprised you are willing to take.

Darrell Burkey
UNIX Systems Administrator
College of Asia & the Pacific
Australian National University