[LINK] bin Laden is dead

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Wed May 4 15:29:43 AEST 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 1:59 AM, Bernard Robertson-Dunn
<brd at iimetro.com.au> wrote:
> come partly from
>> the rules under which the Seals were operating. They were under the
>> authority of the Central Intelligence Agency, which operates under
>> fewer restrictions than the military,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Targeted_killing

After G.W. Bush, the CIA can pretty much do anything they want (or are
told to), including going after you and kidnapping you, or killing
you, if your name shows up on a list.

---
Targeted killing has become a frequent tactic of the United States and
Israel in their fight against terrorism.[1][2] The tactic can raise
complex questions and lead to contentious disputes as to the legal
basis for its application, who qualifies as an appropriate "hit list"
target, what circumstances must exist before the tactic may be
employed, whether it results in greater or lesser collateral damage,
and a number of other pros and cons.[1][2][3][4] Opinions range from
people considering it a legal form of self-defense that reduces
terrorism, to people calling it an extrajudicial killing that lacks
due process, and which leads to more violence.[1][5][6]
---
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Targeted_killing

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_12333#Proscription_on_assassination

The problem is differentiating between what might be legal or
constitutional in the USA vs the rest of the world.

It was Bush Jr. (the son of former CIA director George Bush the Elder)
who authorized the killing of individuals overseas by CIA without
previous trial.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A63203-2001Oct27?language=printer

"Armed with new authority from President Bush for a global campaign
against al Qaeda, the Central Intelligence Agency is contemplating
clandestine missions expressly aimed at killing specified individuals
for the first time since the assassination scandals and consequent
legal restraints of the 1970s."

Assasinations *and* kidnappings....

Renditions case: Milan Trial Could Expose Italian Role in CIA Kidnapping
http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,657431,00.html

"UN official says 'targeted killings' fall into 'accountability vacuum'
http://govdocsblog.kentlaw.edu/wordpress/?p=3332

Of course, we all know who OBL was, but once this practice becomes
commonplace and daily routine, who will monitor the Agency´s daily
"hit list"?.

FC