[LINK] IT matters of interest in the 2011/2012 Federal Budget

Alex (Maxious) Sadleir maxious at gmail.com
Tue May 10 21:13:28 AEST 2011

$9.8 million worth of Internet Filtering Grants have been removed from
forward appropriations due to a lack of interest by ISPs.

The Government will provide $19.9 million over four years to improve
internet amenities for Australian Defence Force (ADF) personnel
deployed on operations. The measure will establish a single contract
that will standardise the delivery of internet service for ADF
personnel on operations with predetermined levels of service and
defined support arrangements.

The Government [through Attorney General's Department] will provide
$4.0 million over four years to improve access to legal assistance
services for people living in regional Australia through the use of
the National Broadband Network. Grants will be provided to legal
assistance providers to enable National Broadband Network based
delivery of legal services, and to attract and retain professional
staff in selected regional area

The Government will provide $4.2 million over four years to establish
and maintain an interactive MyRegion website. This website will aim to
provide information about regional Australia, including transport
infrastructure, health and aged care, education, social services,
communications and the environment. The website will enable users to
download data for further analysis and will provide them with an
opportunity to make enquiries and provide feedback to Government using
social media technologies.