[LINK] There goes the neighbourhood...

Paul Brooks pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au
Thu May 12 16:27:07 AEST 2011

On 12/05/2011 8:22 AM, Kim Holburn wrote:

>> It's not hard to make an inbound connection through a firewall at all.
>> Provided I (the network operator) want that connection to be possible.
>>
>> NAT just stops everything, as a non-switch-offable side-effect of its
>> multiplexing function.
> And yet skype, it works, despite that.
ONly because they turned what should be a peer-to-peer protocol into a client-server
protocol, where every client has to make a outbound rendezvous call out to a
central-ish host before anything can work.

>>> Also I wonder NAT is just going to go away even if some of the
>>> original reasons for it are.
>> Indeed. We can but hope.
> I don't see people giving up their hard won privacy.  Especially not these days.

Privacy? NAT doesn't provide privacy. Or non-trackability.
Hard won?  please - NAT was a kludge to enable dynamic addressing to work for
extending IP address exhaustion, nobody had to lobby for it, especially not on
enhanced privacy grounds.