[LINK] faux-privacy ? (was: It's Queensland - (sorry to Qlders))

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Fri May 20 13:54:44 AEST 2011

At 01:47 PM 20/05/2011, eric scheid wrote:

>For starters, is Facebook on shaky ground by saying they're protecting your
>privacy but then making all your private stuff so publicly available? Are
>they promising something they are failing to deliver on?

The brute force access on this case reminded me of a similar
situation a few years ago (probably discussed on Link at the time) of
a person guessing URLs for bank accounts or some other similar type
of 'secure' system. Does anyone recall what that was? If the URL is
guessable, then it's not really secure, is it? Patterns are
guessable. It wouldn't surprise me if that approach wasn't used a lot
for just mucking about by bored high school/middle school/uni students.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/