[LINK] faux-privacy ?

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri May 20 14:10:00 AEST 2011

Jan Whitaker wrote:
> At 01:47 PM 20/05/2011, eric scheid wrote:
>
>> For starters, is Facebook on shaky ground by saying they're protecting your
>> privacy but then making all your private stuff so publicly available? Are
>> they promising something they are failing to deliver on?
>
> The brute force access on this case reminded me of a similar
> situation a few years ago (probably discussed on Link at the time) of
> a person guessing URLs for bank accounts or some other similar type
> of 'secure' system. Does anyone recall what that was? If the URL is
> guessable, then it's not really secure, is it? Patterns are
> guessable. It wouldn't surprise me if that approach wasn't used a lot
> for just mucking about by bored high school/middle school/uni students.

Not to mention, Google et al indexing it.

But if you think you are safe, try googling your own name sometime and
check the last, rather than first pages returned.

I have just signed up to Flickr (apparently owned by Yahoo), so had to get
a yahoo account. First they suggest that you tell them your date of birth,
so that they can send you helpful stuff. But when you try to setup the
account, without a date of birth, they won't let you.

I went through this to submit my Libraryhack2011 Mashup. THough after all
the effort, Flickr reduced the image to an invisible 1024x40. There are
2551 x 100 and 5101x200 pixels (194.5k) versions of Sydney 1788 to 1938
available at <http://ramin.com.au/travel/sydney-1788-1938.shtml>

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz