[LINK] Education system doesn't support NBN

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Tue May 24 17:55:28 AEST 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
> The curriculum is one aspect, the other is competently resourcing the
> implementation.
>
> I recently heard a story, that teachers are complaining because it takes
> their class too long to turn the page on their computers. Apparently, the
> CEO (catholic education office) and Telstra (their broadband provider) have
> tried to resolve the issue to no avail - and the students and staff
> struggle on.
>
> Will the NBN solve this problem or will NBN simply replace Telstra in the
> bog. Should a class of 30 be all trying to turn the page at the same time?

It may fix it in the short term, but then as more bandwidth-intensive
technologies take on, it'll become a problem again.

This was mostly solved with cachable HTTP content and properly configured
HTTP proxies. I've done a couple of tests showing a lab full of computers
all browsing google maps without the upstream link being thrashed.

It's a shame the focus has been on "network delivery" and not "service
delivery". :-) It'd be nice to have some voices of reason coupled with
some actual clout behind them effecting some sort of useful change.

Adrian