[LINK] Cloud Computing Services in Australia?

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri Nov 4 16:00:15 AEDT 2011

The Potential for Cloud Computing Services in Australia

Lateral Economics
<http://www.lateraleconomics.com.au/outputs/The%20potential%20for%20cloud%
20computing%20services%20in%20Australia.pdf>

Cloud computing is a significant opportunity for Australian industry.
Ibis World estimated Australian cloud revenues at over $1 billion for
2010 and employment at around 4,300 persons.

When it comes to cloud computing, can Australia reasonably aspire to
become a regional hub for cloud computing?

What will determine Australian industry's competitive position in
offering cloud computing services and facilities?

To what extent will Australian providers meet Australian demand for cloud
services?

Will Australia aspire to its usual back office role – with a few scraps
badged as local content, or will it aspire to something more?

Activity to date suggests there is reason for some confidence. If we were
destined to become a cloud computing backwater we'd have seen less
investment in cloud infrastructure than we have – for example Macquarie
Telecom, Fujitsu and Telstra combined have invested nearly $1 billion in
Australian cloud infrastructure.

What can and should we do to encourage the nascent cloud computing
industry in Australia? ...

--

Cheers,
Stephen