[LINK] Cloud Computing Services in Australia?

Graham Greenleaf graham at austlii.edu.au
Fri Nov 4 20:37:34 AEDT 2011

Dear Linkers,

Does anyone know of a recent Australian court
decision making cloud computing service providers
subject to Australian legislation, such as the
Privacy Act?

Regards,

Graham

At 5:00 AM +0000 4/11/11, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
>The Potential for Cloud Computing Services in Australia
>
>Lateral Economics
><http://www.lateraleconomics.com.au/outputs/The%20potential%20for%20cloud%
>20computing%20services%20in%20Australia.pdf>

>Cloud computing is a significant opportunity for Australian industry.
>Ibis World estimated Australian cloud revenues at over $1 billion for
>2010 and employment at around 4,300 persons.
>
>When it comes to cloud computing, can Australia reasonably aspire to
>become a regional hub for cloud computing?
>
>What will determine Australian industry's competitive position in
>offering cloud computing services and facilities?
>
>To what extent will Australian providers meet Australian demand for cloud
>services?
>
>Will Australia aspire to its usual back office role ñ with a few scraps
>badged as local content, or will it aspire to something more?
>
>Activity to date suggests there is reason for some confidence. If we were
>destined to become a cloud computing backwater we'd have seen less
>investment in cloud infrastructure than we have ñ for example Macquarie
>Telecom, Fujitsu and Telstra combined have invested nearly $1 billion in
>Australian cloud infrastructure.
>
>What can and should we do to encourage the nascent cloud computing
>industry in Australia? ...
>
>--
>
>Cheers,
>Stephen

Graham Greenleaf AM
Professor of Law & Information Systems, University of New South Wales (UNSW)

Mobile while in UK to 30 Jan 2012: +44 742 7233 616

Co-Director, Australasian Legal Information Institute (AustLII)
Asia-Pacific Editor, Privacy Laws & Business International Report (PLBIR)
Founding Director, Cyberspace Law and Policy Centre, UNSW (2000-10)

During 2011 I am a Visiting Fellow at the following research centres:
- AHRC/SCRIPT Centre, Faculty of Law, University of Edinburgh
- Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, Univ. of
London: Inaugural CommonLII Fellow
- Centre for Commercial Law Studies, Queen Mary, Univ. of London
- Kyung Hee University Law School, Seoul, Korea: International Scholar
- L'Istituto di Teoria e Tecniche dell'Informazione Giuridica (ITTIG), Florence
- GIGA Institute, NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad, India: Global Faculty

Mail: Faculty of Law, University of New South Wales - Room 224
UNSW SYDNEY NSW 2052  Australia (UNSW CRICOS Provider No: 00098G)
E-mail: g.greenleaf at unsw.edu.au or graham at austlii.edu.au
Web Pages -  http://www2.austlii.edu.au/~graham/
Tel: +61 2 9385 2233 (UNSW) +61 2 9569 5310 (Home) Skype: g.greenleaf
(For locations in 2011, publications and biography, see above web pages)