[LINK] Cloud Computing Services in Australia?

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Sun Nov 6 09:51:54 AEDT 2011

On 04/11/11 20:37, Graham Greenleaf wrote:

> Does anyone know of a recent Australian court decision making cloud
> computing service providers subject to Australian legislation, such
> as the Privacy Act?

Cloud computing is a new version of the 1960s computer "service bureau",
so wouldn't their legal precedents apply?

On 04/11/11 16:00, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:

> ... can Australia reasonably aspire to become a regional hub for
> cloud computing?

Yes. Early adopters may not have an advantage in cloud computing, as the
technology is advancing rapidly.

> What will determine Australian industry's competitive position in
> offering cloud computing services and facilities?

Well established laws about IP, privacy, contracts and the like, so
customers will feel their data and applications are safe.

Reliable power supply and sites away from areas subject to frequent
natural disasters. Stable political and social environment, so data
center unlikely to be attacked.

> To what extent will Australian providers meet Australian demand for
> cloud services?

Free trade agreements will likely see overseas domination of cloud
provision in Australia.

> What can and should we do to encourage the nascent cloud computing
> industry in Australia? ...

Governments can act as a anchor customer for cloud services. Also will
help to have suitable courses on the technical, business, legal and
other aspects.

Support for scientific computing centers, which provide a spin-off for
cloud technology will also help. In particular, support for the
computing for the square kilometer array, which will have very large
data storage and processing requirements:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_Kilometre_Array.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/