[LINK] Cloud Computing Services in Australia?

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Tue Nov 8 10:28:28 AEDT 2011

On 7/11/2011 4:38 PM, Roger Clarke wrote:
> At 14:22 +1100 7/11/11, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>> Standardisation is the elephant in the room. If you look at two of the
>> larger players in the field, Amazon and Microsoft, their standardisation
>> in the infrastructure  architecture space is new and different from any
>> sort of current infrastructure or platform models. In other words, the
>> cloud providers are saying: change your application architecture to suit
>> our product/solution/service and you can use our product/solution/service.
>>
>> This means that moving existing applications to a cloud environment is
>> not a simple case of moving files. It's a complex re-write.
> That approach is PaaS, but in a form that suits above all the provider.

Just to validate my claims that "moving existing applications to a cloud
environment is
not a simple case of moving files. It's a complex re-write." See:

http://developmentor.s3.amazonaws.com/webcasts/Windows-Azure-Platform-2010-04-20-Dominick-Baier-and-Christian-Weyer.pdf

In this presentation, which is an overview of Windows Azure, the last
slide includes this:

Applications need to be designed for the cloud
–no simple “repackage & deploy”

What is doesn't say, but should, is that "Applications need to be
designed for the (Azure) cloud".

It also says, elsewhere, that Azure is based upon .NET 3.5 SP1. Clouds
are about standardisation, but that's a very specific standard, mostly
in favour of the vendor.

Which all reinforces Roger's point about lock-in.

--

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn