[LINK] The End Is Nigh [Was: On the Day that you were born (UN

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Sun Nov 13 09:27:08 AEDT 2011

On 13/11/2011 4:16 AM, Rick Welykochy wrote:
> David Boxall wrote:
>
>> Life as we know it relies on liquid water. In the worst case scenarios,
>> there's none of that on the surface of the planet. In time, there's none
>> below the surface either.
>
> Where does it go? If the H2O split into its constituent atoms?
> Nothing really leaves our planet except EMR and light gases like H and He.
Initially, into the atmosphere. Water molecules, exposed in the
atmosphere to solar radiation, break down over time. Some of the
hydrogen escapes off planet. The remaining hydrogen and oxygen combine
with other elements to create acidic compounds.

This is what's thought to have happened to the oceans of Venus. On that
planet, the main compound in question is H2SO4. In the atmosphere of
Earth, there's less Sulphur and more Nitrogen. I guess that would make
the most likely candidate HNO3.

I'm no expert and this is a worst-case. It's probably only slightly more
likely than the rose-coloured view that God's in His heaven and all's
right with the world. Even so, is the risk worth taking?

--
David Boxall                    |  The more that wise people learn
                                |  The more they come to appreciate
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  How much they don't know.
                                                         --Confucius