[LINK] And across the finish line is.... 60GHz ISM

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 20:02:04 AEDT 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 02:32, Tom Koltai <tomk at unwired.com.au> wrote:

> The 802.11ad technology uses directional communications. Instead of
> bathing a room or a house in a wireless signal, 802.11ad technology sets
> up specific channels between devices' antennas. That minimises
> interference.

Channels do not imply directionality, as you´re well aware. It will
just "bathe" a house with signal, just that one channel per each room
where the technology is used. But then it isn´t the first time where
tech writers oversimplify.
Unless, of course, directional antennas are used. The article doesn´t say.
Looks to me like a super-high-speed version of Bluetooth, without its
protocol annoyances.
I still don´t know if I want to be bathed in 60 Ghz microwave, even if
low-power.
This wireless fad has to end. I´ll use USB 3.0 thanks very much. (yes
you can quote me on that ;).
FC
--
"The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers."
Richard Hamming - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamming_code