[LINK] itNews: Stallman Jobs Jobs

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Tue Oct 11 08:26:39 AEDT 2011

Stallman blasted over Jobs eulogy
itNews
Oct 11, 2011 7:54 AM (25 minutes ago)

Software activist Richard M. Stallman has caused a storm after a post
on his personal blog spoke ill of Steve Jobs post-death.

The post, made late last week, stated that while "nobody deserves to
have to die... we all deserve the end of Jobs' malign influence on
people's computing".

"Unfortunately, that influence continues despite his absence," Stallman wrote.

"We can only hope his successors, as they attempt to carry on his
legacy, will be less effective."

Stallman is best known for launching the GNU project and founding the
Free Software Foundation.

His comments on Jobs led ReadWriteWeb to call for a "new voice" to
represent the free software movement.

The blog said Stallman's personal comments undermined his
professional credibility.

However, not all commentators rebuked Stallman. The LA Times wrote
that Stallman's critique of Jobs' business model "had some merit" and
that his point "deserves to be heeded".

Here's Stallman's whole posting:

http://stallman.org/archives/2011-jul-oct.html#06_October_2011_%28Steve_Jobs%29

06 October 2011 (Steve Jobs)

Steve Jobs, the pioneer of the computer as a jail made cool, designed
to sever fools from their freedom, has died.

As Chicago Mayor Harold Washington said of the corrupt former Mayor
Daley, "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone." Nobody
deserves to have to die - not Jobs, not Mr. Bill, not even people
guilty of bigger evils than theirs. But we all deserve the end of
Jobs' malign influence on people's computing.

Unfortunately, that influence continues despite his absence. We can
only hope his successors, as they attempt to carry on his legacy,
will be less effective.

[Declaration:  I'm both a Mac user, 1984-2012ish, and a (not *quite*
as longstanding) supporter of open source and open content.  Richard
believes I'm hopelessly ethically compromised.  I just think I'm
confused.]

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916