[LINK] What Do Steve Jobs' Obituaries Leave Out? His Appreciation for LSD

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Wed Oct 12 15:30:38 AEDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 11:52:49PM -0700, David Goldstein wrote:
> It's a shame there isn't more focus on Jobs' greed and his lack
> of philanthropy. So much so he pulled all Apple's philanthropic
> programmes when he rejoined the company, and apart from Bono bleating
> about some miserable giving, there is no record of Jobs or Apple
> having given a cent since.

He had no obligation to be at all philanthropic. it was his money, he
could do WTFHWWI.

Welfare is not a private responsibility, it's a community responsibility
through government. that's one of the things we pay taxes for. Private
philanthropy is just an american obsession because they don't have - and
don't believe in - commie satanist stuff like welfare. or public health
insurance(*). or decent public education. or any of the thousands of
other services that actually justify the existence of government.

Now if only the rich, and corporations, would pay their fair share of
tax.

corporate "philanthropy" is often counter-productive, anyway - e.g.
BigPharma corporations dumping old, expired and/or banned medications
in third-world countries for a tax write-off.

(*) oops. i mean "government death lists". presumably undesirable
because govt. lists are inherently less efficient than the
private-sector corporate death lists from their private health insurers.
the lack of efficency means that some might slip through the cracks and
actually get the treatment they need.

> And there's the appalling environmental record in China, recently
> labelled the worst technology company doing business in China. And
> languishing near the bottom of Greenpeace's Greener Guide to
> Electronics. Oh, and let's not forget the miserable working
> conditions of Foxconn employees that Apple seems to have done nothing
> about. Maybe Apple should attach a label to each product saying how
> many people died making it!

those things are, however, real issues that do reflect badly on his record.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>

BOFH excuse #77: