[LINK] Jobs not all bad

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Thu Oct 13 16:59:13 AEDT 2011

Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 02:32, Marghanita da Cruz
> <marghanita at ramin.com.au> wrote:
>> Though Apple likes non-standard connectors. I guess Firewire was for
>> digital video camera support for quicktime?
>
> Exactly, DV digital cameras.
> Digicams back then stored digital video on tape, and the only way to
> get those images to a computer was by hooking em via Firewire.
> That was around 2005. But certainly feels like decades ago. :-/

I don't think apple can take credit for firewire, unless they implemented
it earlier, as I was playing with this on linux on a laptop, August 2005
<http://ramin.com.au/linux/linux-log2.html>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DV
>
> I remember some even created software that allowed the use of a DV
> video camera with firewire as back-up media for the computer.

This was preceded by people using Analog Video Recorders for backup (circa
1985)

--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://ramin.com.au