[LINK] Question about hooking up phones to fibre

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Mon Oct 17 21:29:40 AEDT 2011

Hi guys
Hope you can help me out. A friend is in one of the new
neighbourhoods where Telstra no longer lays copper and a private
company has the contract to put in fibre as their comms services,
both phone and internet and I believe even TV. She was telling me
this morning that they paid $500 for a telephone instrument, 'wired',
no DECT, just one handset. I was appalled! I told her this didn't
sound right to me and I'd ask the techperts on Link.

So, weren't we all assured that a standard telephone would hook onto
the new customer premises equipment for voice services? Or all we all
going to be hit with having to buy a $500 single phone? Or are they
being hoodwinked by an unscrupulous provider who thinks they can get
away with 'murder' advising this as the only option?

These people are complaining to the TIO, but I suggested this sounded
like a monopoly problem and she should include the ACCC in this one.

Also, just for info, it took over a month for them to get any service
and the 'techs' (using the term loosely) don't seem to know what
they're doing. Evidently the company with the contract isn't having
any luck getting qualified staff to do this stuff. I wonder how the
NBN projects have managed. It's all well and good to sell the project
to the public on jobs generated, but if this is the current
situation, it's going to be a big ask to train enough qualified techs
to actually fill those jobs.

So, any insight on the issue of the handset?

Thanks,
Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com