[LINK] Guidance re Passwords

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Sat Sep 17 18:25:51 AEST 2011

I've been thinking about these matters and reading the discussion on link.  For a long time now I have used a random character generator to create passwords and made it available for people to use.  After these discussions I added some random word generators so if you're interested, a description and download links are available here:
http://blog.holburn.net/2011/09/random-passwords-entropy-and-words.html

This doesn't address all the issues with passwords but it does help if you have to use them to access stuff on the net.

On 2011/Jul/23, at 10:40 AM, Roger Clarke wrote:

> A correspondent on BrowserID issues has asked me a question about the
> use of 'password managers'.
>
> It prompted me to think about what guidance we give consumers (and
> employees, students, etc.) in relation to passwords and their
> protection.
>
> Surprisingly, a quick web-trawl found little of much use - although
> there are plenty of 'how to select a good password' pages, some of
> them daft (i.e. of the form 'make sure your passwords are so
> complicated that you can't possibly remember them').
>
> It's good to see that this is better than most:
> http://www.staysmartonline.gov.au/factsheets/factsheet_15
> (I like this bit: 'To make a password easy to remember, think of a
> pass phrase and then change some of the characters to make it a
> strong password';  although the examples are unrealistic).
>
> Can linkers point to other useful guidance pages?

Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant
T: +61 2 61402408  M: +61 404072753

Sent from my steam driven difference engine