[LINK] Web freedom faces greatest threat ever, warns Google's Sergey Brin

TKoltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Tue Apr 17 03:18:49 AEST 2012

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/-1x28j.html

I hear opportunity knocking, if anyone in Government is clever enough to
grab the brass ring ....

Last para: Quote/ [Sergey Brin]" If we could be in some magical
jurisdiction that everyone in the world trusted, that would be great . .
. We're doing it as well as can be done."/Quote

Australia is predominantely perceived to be a politically stable
country.

For years, we (Australians) have eyed the duty free commerce port of
Singapore with envy and financial lust.

An offer to Google to guarantee Government hands off Google docs, would
create the largest IT opportunity for Australia that has existed in the
free world.

The problem of course is that there are few countries prepared to say no
the US intelligence machine that has become a PR nightmare victim of
it's own "survive and grow at all costs" policy.

Politicians have been telling us since the BSEG report in 1995 that IT
would revamp the economy for Australia, reduce the Tyranny of distance
and create lots of new jobs.
We learnt over the next fourteen years that the Politicians didn't
understand the Telstra strangle hold on our economy and for the economy
to grow, the first requirement was an economical connection to the rest
of the world.

PPC-1 fixed the problem for a short time.
The NBN is an excellent interim next step.

All we need now is a data centre that is not subject to Australian
Federal or individual State law or in fact the new popular "rule of law"
sweeping the USA.

An arms length seceded state within the borders of Australia, exempt
from US/AUS data sharing rules would actually [if adopted by the IT
industry  worldwide], create the equivalency of approximately two
million jobs within our economy.

Of course, creating an international free port data centre, not under
the power of any Australian Politician, would require out of the box
forward thinking.
Doubtless other countries are already considering this prize...
And of course, any intelligence agency that requires access, still has
the interception act for Australian data entering and leaving the
independent state.

TomK