[LINK] Standards, please! The third coming of electric vehicles

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Fri Apr 20 19:42:14 AEST 2012

On 20/04/2012 12:06 PM, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 10:40 +1000, David Boxall wrote:
>> As the military, aircraft manufacturers and airlines have realised,
>> algal biofuels work quite well. They're considerably more expensive
>> than fossil fuels at present, but feasible. There are interesting
>> developments in bacterial biofuels, as well.
>
> ... all of which are AT LEAST a decade away, and more probably two or
> three decades away. ...
Nonsense.
>> In converstaion, the service manager at my local Mitubishi dealership
>> mentioned that the company recommends full-body protection for people
>> servicing its electric vehicles. I've no idea why and maybe it's just
>> Mitsubishi, but there might be a problem there.
>
> Fossil fuels are dangerous too - just in different ways. ...
He was gone before I registered what he'd said and I haven't had an
opportunity to enquire further of him. From a couple of mechanics (who
aren't expert in the field), I gather there are problems with the
toxicity of the power source.

As said:
>> I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. ...

As toxic techno-baubles become more common, I've no doubt we'll find out
the truth.

--
David Boxall                    |  When a distinguished but elderly
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  possible, he is almost certainly
                                |  right. When he states that
                                |  something is impossible, he is
                                |  very probably wrong.