[LINK] IPA, astroturfing and fantsy themes

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Fri Feb 17 08:25:30 AEDT 2012

At 02:03 AM 17/02/2012, Frank O'Connor wrote:

>So, they can be sold a bunch of crap by those engaging in the
>politics of self interest, with very little effort on the part of
>the crappers ... sorry, I meant the 'vendors of the alternate theories'.
>
>Sad fact of life ... but there it is.

Add to that a reliance on anecdote and subjective personal experience
and we have a right mess. I was talking with a friend yesterday about
this tendency to base views on the easiest means: no thinking or
analysis plus the latest sound bite. Most people live in a fog and
are so oblivious to how the world works and the meta-structures, that
it's a wonder society works at all.

Unrelated aside: I'm reading a book by Robert Winston (the British
doctor with the black curly hair and mustache) titled Human Instinct
(2002). It's an evolutionary perspective on human behaviours which
includes consideration of gender relationships, kinships, and big
issues like violence, competition and co-operation. I won't go into
detail here, but can recommend it as a broad discussion of how we
humans 'work', pretty much from a biologically determined level, even
in how we interact with each other, even politicians!

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/