[LINK] Tim O'Reilly on SOPA/PIPA: Solving The Wrong Problem

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Wed Jan 18 14:14:39 AEDT 2012

At 14:00 +1100 18/1/12, David Boxall wrote:
>I'd wager that any rigorous scientific analysis would show no or
>negligible economic impact from so-called "Piracy". In fact, it would
>probably show that "Intellectual Property" has negative impacts. Of
>course, any attempt at such analysis would immediately attract
>manipulation to the point that nobody would recognise the question, let
>alone trust the answers.

Gillian Dempsey did her PhD thesis on the topic.

She never did get around to writing it down into less-academic prose
plus diagrams, so I got her permission to do it for her.  (I was her
lead supervisor).  See:

     The Economics of Innovation in the Information Industries
     http://www.rogerclarke.com/EC/EcInnInfInd.html (April 2004)

Here's the conclusion:

"Information economics shows that innovators can achieve returns even
if they only have quite limited monopoly rights.

"The prevention of distribution of mere imitations without
enhancement is justified; but that requires at most some minor
refinements to longstanding copyright law, and none at all to
longstanding patent law and practice.

"The substantial extensions to copyright law, and to patent law and
practice, that have already been granted in response to the lobbying
of large, entrenched corporations are seriously harmful to innovation
in the information industries. The further extensions and powers that
these corporations are seeking would compound the problem.

"It is essential that the current round of demands from powerful
information industry corporations be rejected, and that the excessive
extensions that they have already been granted be wound back".

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law               University of NSW