[LINK] SMH: 'Megaupload closure hits legitimate users'

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Tue Jan 24 09:50:52 AEDT 2012

On 24/01/2012 8:47 AM, Roger Clarke wrote:
> However, regulation and consumer protection aren't easy, but they've
> been abandoned as principles by governments like Howard's, and not
> reinstated by successor governments like Rullard's. So 'dog eat dog'
> and 'caveat emptor' rule right now, particularly in exciting new
> markets like cloudsourcing.

If you look at what AGIMO is doing wrt the government's use of "as a
service" offerings, starting maybe at:
http://agimo.govspace.gov.au/2011/11/11/data-centre-as-a-service-industry-briefing-presentation/

... you will notice that the Australian government is very wary of
"cloud", preferring the term "Data Centre as a Service". This is partly
because the initiative is directly linked to the whole-of-government
data centre strategy and partly because of the recognition that the
meaning of the term "cloud" is not uniform across all involved -
vendors, agencies etc. AGIMO is also going to great lengths to
understand the strengths and weakness of such services.

There is a draft strategic direction paper on cloud
http://agimo.govspace.gov.au/2011/04/14/cloud-computing-strategic-direction-paper/
which could not be accused of blindly jumping in.

And PM&C is working on a cybersecurity paper, due out this year.

AGIMO is well across what other governments are doing and you'll
probably see press reports of visitors from the UK and USA busy talking
at various events and to lots of people here in Australia during February.
e.g.
http://www.aiia.com.au/news/78278/AIIA-to-bring-cloud-expert-Vivek-Kundra-to-Australia.htm
and
http://www.futuregov.asia/events/advanced-government-cloud-forum-australia-2012/speakers/

When it comes to promoting the creation and use of cloud services in
Australia, DBCDE is doing its own thing.
e.g AIIA signs MoU with DBCDE to drive the development of the Digital
Economy in Australia
http://www.aiia.com.au/news/70007/

Declaration of interest: I'm working at AGIMO on various aspects of the
data centre strategy.

--

Regards
brd