[LINK] The Right to Be Forgotten

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sun Jan 29 09:30:22 AEDT 2012

At 09:07 AM 29/01/2012, Roger Clarke wrote:
>-   in the legislation, call it 'the requirement to destroy data',
>      or perhaps the less-negative-sounding 'limits to data retention'

Another way to look at it is the on-going need for security and
secure destruction. In cases where data is no longer wanted, e.g.
medical records where a patient has dies or the records have been
computerised, we have seen too many instances of poor data
destruction practices.

 From reading the policy that Tom posted, it all seems 'too hard' and
'too expensive' and 'an onus on business' yada yada yada. Maybe it
will be until the systems are built in to handle the end of the data
life cycle well.

Another problem is orphan accounts with places like Facebook. For
example, I started an account a couple years ago and then ran away.
 From time to time I get emails from them, but I can no longer log
into the account. I don't know if anything still exists. I can't look
at facebook without logging into it and I'm not about to get in the
trap again. If any linkers still play in facebook, I'd appreciate
knowing if you can still find me there.

In other environments, say in business relationships, I have no idea
what is held by others about me and it would be a nightmare to try
and find out. There are the major social media sites, but I continue
to get emails spruiking stuff from places I bought something years
ago. I don't worry about it and just hit delete when they show up.
Since out-going data is so cheap to do, no one is ever going to stop
this from happening. It's noise in the system.

Here's a new phrase I haven't seen before:  'internet dark matter' -
the data that is flowing around that fills up paths but is doing
nothing for anyone.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com