[LINK] The Dangers of Exec Summaries - Was - Web Crashing

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Jul 3 08:39:52 AEST 2012

On 02/07/12 10:53, Richard Archer wrote:

> ... Wikipedia page:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide
>
> Which states ...  "emissions of CO2 by human activities are
> currently more than 130 times greater than the quantity emitted by
> volcanoes, amounting to about 27 billion tonnes per year". ...

I checked the source cited in the Wikipedia, the U.S. Geological Survey.
That seems credible, but it said 135 times, not 130, so I have amended
the Wikipedia entry accordingly. I am not sure where the "27 billion
tonnes per year" came from, and it did not seem necessary, so I deleted it.

> There are lots of big words on that page, so I'm unable to make any
> sense of it ...

The Simple English Wikipedia uses a more limited vocabulary:
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:How_to_write_Simple_English_pages

ps: I am a member of the ANU Climate Change Institute, but not a climate
scientist: http://cci.anu.edu.au/

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

Adjunct Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/