[LINK] Online Scientific Collaboration Software Talk at ANU

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Sat Jul 7 11:06:49 AEST 2012

Ian Gorton, from the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory of the US
Dept. of Energy, will speak on "Towards a Collaborative Scientific
Knowledge Management Platform with Velo" at the Australian National
University in Canberra, 11:30am, 10 July 2012. The software has been
used for modelling carbon sequestration and climate change:
http://cecs.anu.edu.au/seminars/more/SID/3106

	ANU College of Engineering & Computer Science
		SOFTWARE ENGINEERING SEMINAR

Towards a Collaborative Scientific Knowledge Management Platform with Velo
Ian Gorton, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, US Dept. of Energy

DATE: 2012-07-10
TIME: 11:30:00 - 12:30:00
LOCATION: Engineering Lecture Theatre (Building 32)

ABSTRACT:
Facilitating transformative improvements in the collaborative practices
of the scientific community and their ability to share, manage and
analyze massive data sets represents a software engineering challenge of
immense magnitude. State-of-the-art collaborative platforms are examples
of discipline-specific, stovepiped solutions, which have extremely
limited utility for other science communities. Given the immense costs
of building and maintaining such customized solutions, continuing down
this path is unsustainable given the need to build even more
sophisticated collaborative systems and accomplish wider scale
deployment. Achieving a quantum leap in the utility of collaborative
platforms to meet future requirements necessitates new approaches to
designing and constructing their underlying software foundations.

This talk will describe our Velo software platform, which is designed to
meet these future scientific collaboration requirements. Velo is
designed to be highly customizable and scalable to meet a broad range of
software requirements. Veloas architecture will be described, and the
mechanisms adopted to address various quality requirements will be
presented through examples from existing Velo deployments.

BIO:

I'm a Laboratory Fellow in Computational Sciences and Math at Pacific
Northwest National Laboratory. I manage the Data Intensive Scientific
Computing group, and was the Chief Architect for PNNLas Data Intensive
Computing Initiative. I'm also Senior Member of the IEEE Computer
Society and a Fellow of the Australian Computer Society. Until July
2006, I led the software architecture R&D at National ICT Australia
(NICTA) in Sydney, Australia. My passion is analyzing and designing
complex, high performance distributed systems, and embodying useful
design and architecture knowledge in methods and tools that can be
exploited by architects in other projects.

More: http://cecs.anu.edu.au/seminars/more/SID/3106

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

Adjunct Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/