[LINK] RFI: ADLS2+ Performance

TKoltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Tue Jul 10 14:36:44 AEST 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal-to-noise_ratio

An excellent reference source which was not written for the average Fred
Flinstone.

The term "Signal to Noise Ratio" can and is used for many different
purposes.
I believe that Roger meant it as per your Wikipedia Ref.
I meant it (partly) as - lookit all these spurious distractions. Too
many advertisements and not enough "content".

Sometimes my wit is overly subtle. Which makes me either witless or a
kook.
Feel free to choose the most appropriate label.

However, very occasionally, behind the wit is actual science.

The frequencies generated by the different connection speeds, local loop
tail resistance, constant rx/tx frequency changes, MDF crosstalk and
backplane traffic does indeed impede and affect the SNR on a DSLAM on a
nanosecond basis.
Modern DSLAMS attempt to "filter" out this noise... By calculating the
optimum "aggregate" frequency. With the addition of local modem "fine
tuning" available to consumers. However in reality, just as in the first
reference [1] (wireless related but essentially the nub of any digital
connection schema), data signalling is affected by the spectrum
efficiency within the "acceptable noise" permitted environment of
copper.

i.e.: we could increase signal and decrease noise considerably by
replacing all copper tails with silver or 18k gold... (And removing all
twists [twist tie and looping terminations] and bends from all
subterranean copper tails. - this removing resistance loops procedure is
often called "Sweeping the copper").

Other factors include even a 1 degree alteration in soil or pit
temperatures which can send the Noise up and the Signal down (by
expanding the copper due to heat) requiring more "Signal" from the DSLAM
which then lowers the aggregate filtering to all users on that DSLAM.
Resulting of course in lowered "Signal" and increased "Noise".