[LINK] [PRIVACY] SMH: 'Social media exploitation is gravest risk'

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Mon Mar 5 12:15:56 AEDT 2012

At 11:37 AM 5/03/2012, Stephen Wilson wrote:
>   So many
>technologists don't even know it.

I agree on that point, as well as others that the principles are in
place. Unfortunately, the enforcement and penalties are woeful.

So here's my dilemma. I teach about the Privacy Act, certainly from a
requirement to comply and an ethical position (the right thing to do
with regard to respecting people's right to be made aware and to
choose to participate or not (informed consent)). Heck, just bringing
the existence of the law to their attention is a good step. But from
a business perspective and a 'risk' view, what do they have to lose
if they ignore it? Even loss of reputation doesn't seem to dent their
approach (when it comes to those with security breaches as well as
those who just thumb their noses at the law here like Facebook,
Google, and other intl companies). They gear up their PR outfits and
just use newspeak about how changes in their attacks are for a
'better experience for our users'. What do I tell students about the
reality when it comes to a hard nose business perspective and not be
a liar myself?

I agree with you that we need to speak up in as many venues as
possible as a public, but we continue to lose. Death by a thousand
cuts is still death.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com